Indian Wedding Season 2023: Boosting the Economy with? 4.25 Trillion and 3.5 Million Celebrations

Weddings | October 20, 2023 | Feature

Indian Wedding Season 2023

India is gearing up for a monumental celebration as the much-awaited wedding season approaches. According to a survey conducted by the Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT), this year's festivities are poised to be more extravagant than ever. With an estimated 3.5 million weddings set to take place between November 23 and December 15, the economic impact of these matrimonial celebrations is expected to be staggering. The survey projects a total expenditure of approximately ₹4.25 trillion, equivalent to $51 billion, over this 23-day period. This represents a substantial increase from the previous year's ₹3.75 trillion ($45 billion).

Diverse Expenditure Categories:

CAIT divides the weddings into five different expenditure categories, revealing the range of budgets for these celebrations:

About 600,000 weddings will have an estimated expenditure of ₹3 lakh per wedding.
• Approximately one million weddings will cost around ₹6 lakh per wedding.
• 1.2 million weddings are expected to incur expenses of about ₹10 lakh per wedding.
• 600,000 weddings are estimated to cost ₹25 lakh per wedding.
• 50,000 weddings will have a budget of ₹50 lakh per wedding.
• Another 50,000 weddings will involve expenditures of ₹1 crore or more per wedding.

Thriving Businesses:

Traders and businesses across the country have been diligently preparing to cater to this bustling wedding season. These events are not just a celebration of love but also a significant boost to various sectors of the economy. The bride's and groom's sides typically allocate 20% of their total expenditure, while the remaining 80% flows into the coffers of third-party agencies involved in orchestrating these grand ceremonies.

A multitude of businesses, including those related to house repairs, jewelry, clothing, sweets, crockery, dry fruits, groceries, decoration items, and electronics, are poised to thrive during this period. Venues such as banquet halls, hotels, open lawns, community centers, public parks, and farmhouses are fully prepared to host these weddings.

A Plethora of Services:

Various services play a vital role in this multi-trillion-rupee industry. These services include tent decoration, floral arrangements, crockery, catering, travel arrangements, taxi services, photography, videography, music, and event management. As couples prepare to tie the knot, these service providers are gearing up for high demand, contributing to the bustling business activity during this wedding season.

Anticipated Economic Surge:

The wedding season is not only a time of celebration but also a major economic driver. Businesses are eagerly preparing to cater to the diverse needs of couples and their families. With the estimated ₹4.25 trillion flowing into the Indian economy during this 23-day celebration, the Great Indian Wedding Extravaganza is set to leave an indelible mark in 2023.

As India embarks on its most extravagant wedding season, the economic implications are nothing short of extraordinary. With millions of couples ready to exchange vows and a diverse range of budgets, the Indian wedding season is more than just a celebration; it's a testament to the nation's resilience and enduring traditions. In a time of economic uncertainty, these grand celebrations promise to infuse vibrancy and prosperity into the lives of countless businesses and service providers across the country. It's a season of love, opulence, and economic resurgence – the Grand Indian Wedding Extravaganza is set to dazzle and delight.

During these 23 days, approximately 3.5 million weddings are expected to take place across the country, creating a significant economic surge in the wedding industry.

Subscribe to Newsletter



Twitter Feed

Facebook Connect

Recent Headlines


View All


View All


View All