Roshan Abbas, MD, Encompass and Director of IPL opening ceremony reveals the 6 factors that helped save the IPL 2015 opening ceremony…
1. The best set of technical vendors you can imagine! They were willing to operate with power outages, rain delays and possibilities of equipment failure. From Modern Stage Services to DynaMix Multimedia, SOUND.COM to SNL Pro and Anand for fireworks and pyros. Warren D'Souza, Devendar Wadhwa, Suresh Madan, Manish Mavani, Anand, all did their best!
2. 600 moving heads and Atul Sonpal's incredible lighting. The maximum lights in the hands of a magician were used at a show that made for an amazing backdrop for the event. He literally painted a backdrop with the lights. While LED had failed in the rain he was able to create a magical effect!
3. All the stars and the host agreeing to perform in the rain. Hrithik Roshan was molten fire on stage, a true rockstar! He entered and raised the bar for the show with his performance. The previous night he had said he would perform a rain dance if it poured, and he kept his word!
4. The floor projection. Even with the rain the floor projection made for a dynamic canvas and was used multiple times. Farhan Akhtar's opening with his VO poem Zinda and the winning moments AV got the crowd pumped up! Thankfully Suresh Madan placed them in the covered stands or else we would have lost that too. Also, the pyrotechnics were spectacular and made the sky come alive for us.
5. But beyond this, the 300 member plus team who swabbed the floor and cleared the ground, every technician who risked a shock, every dancer who was okay with the rain and every Encompass manager who stood their ground! It's people and passion who make the impossible possible!
6. The local teams that supported the entire show. Cherry Tree, Genesis and Edge Events! A special mention to Mandip Yagnik and the entire team of Edge Events…